Wednesday, January 28, 2015

First Days of School




St. Ursula's College









We DID it!  We made it through the first two days of school.  I didn't think it would be a big deal.  The kids were excited about making new friends. 
We had completed the enrollment interviews, so the kids were somewhat familiar with their campuses and were happy about the school choices we had made. 
Uniforms, school shoes (unfortunately not very attractive), backpacks, and lunch boxes had all been purchased. 
Booklists (school supply lists) were bought, including some different items... A4 display folders, document wallets, 30cm ruler, exercise books, Break Through! The Bible for Catholics, slimpick wallet, A4 binder book, Australian Pocket Oxford Dictionary.  Understand all that?  Luckily we were able to take the booklists to the local "News Store" and they would get all the supplies together for us, and then give a 5% discount for purchase.  What a great deal...we received a discount and were able to figure out what all the items were using the process of elimination when we compared each product to the items on the list. 
I thought I/we were all ready to go. 
As we all packed into the car to begin another phase of this adventure, I realized I was NOT ready.  I lost it.  The kids have been out of a traditional school for the last 8 months, by my side the entire time, and I thought I was ready for them to be back in the routine.  WRONG!  This day was far more emotional than any first day of kindergarten.  I was leaving my children at new schools in a new country and they did not know a single child.  YIKES!  I also realized how much I was going to miss them. 

Day 1, with the girls in their "sport" uniform












First, we drove to Sacred Heart, Will's new school, which is very close to our home.  His school is quite different than the schools to which we are accustomed.  Every grade level is in it's own building, and all the doors open to the outdoors.  Another different aspect is that there is not a cafeteria. All the students each lunch at the same time and they eat outdoors, sitting on the bleachers, picnic tables, or anywhere they can find a spot.  The Tuck Shop, which is very similar to a concession stand, is located in the large shed (covered basketball court) and is only open 3 days a week.   We walked Will up the sidewalk and into his new classroom.  There were excited children all around, getting name tags and choosing a desk.  His teacher greeted him by name and immediately introduced him to another boy, his "partner", but I wasn't ready to leave.  As I looked at Will to say goodbye, tears began to form for both of us.  I quickly gave him a hug and left.  Ouch!  That was tough. 
We then headed across town to St. Ursula's College.  I think it is called a college because it is also a boarding school.  The first day of school for the girls was a day of orientation for new students, so parents were invited to stay for the initial orientation.  As we sat and listened to all the information, I looked over and Maggie was in tears.  She had been so excited, and now tears.  UGH! As all the parents began leaving, Maggie pleaded with me to stay. 
I stayed for most of the morning.  I went on the tour of the school, which is similar to Will's with the various buildings and all doors being outside.  After the tour, I assured Maggie that she would be okay and I left...in tears.  As I was leaving, one of the administrators with whom we had our interview assured me that she would make sure the girls were okay.  I was only gone for an hour when it was time to pick up Grace (short day for the older girls).  I arrived at her school and there was a big smile on her face!  She got in the car and talked nonstop about the great day she had.  A couple hours later we went back to get Maggie.  Smile.  She was thrilled that she had made three new friends and had a wonderful afternoon.  Finally, we went to get Will. Once we got him, he informed us that he too had a great day and made several new friends.  He even learned the popular playground game of handball.  A little like four-square for us oldies.  Another boy even told Will that he was really good!
Handball
Handball











So HAPPY everyone had a good day.  Whew!  It was a rough one for this mom. 
Today we woke up and everyone was happy to go to school.  No tears!  Grace started her classes and likes some better than others.  Maggie continued to make new friends.  Will enjoyed some more handball.  Success!
St. Ursula's school uniform (from their website)
Day 2.  How do our girls match up with their uniforms?  Do they look like "Ursies"?  Pretty good, we think!

So thankful for welcoming schools, caring teachers and administrators, and our wonderful happy kids!
-Tricia





3 comments:

  1. So proud of you and the kids for braving through the new school experience. I was thinking about them all day so I can only imagine how you felt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somehow stumbled across your blog via facebook, and I'm so happy to see how well things are going! I've wondered often how Maggie was doing down in Australia. Please tell her I'm so proud of her embracing this adventure and I continue to pray for her often (as I promised on the last day of fifth grade, not sure if she remembers, she was a little nervous!).
    -Ms. Regi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Trish, I can feel your heart in this. But so so proud of you all, and what brave steps you have taken and look how it has turned out. I know God is blessing y'all beyond what you can imagine through this. I love to hear about your adventures! So so proud of you all. Looks like so much fun and I can see the peace on your faces. LOVE the uniforms too! ha And tell Will hi for me!

    ReplyDelete